Sleep Polyphasic
     A site about people with alternate Sleep Schedules
Gerry Leonard's Blog (May 2009):

Dang It! It is currently 2:45am. I do not feel excessively tired and so am able to type this. If that was the end of the story, then that would be great news. Unfortunately, the reason for this is that I had a prolonged nap. My wife and I went out tonight to hang with friends. We ended up getting back a little after 10. Perfect, I figured. I went to bed for my 10:15 nap. I woke up at 10:40 as expected. This is where the story gets hazy. I remember coming downstairs and feeling really tired. I remember stretching out on the ground. I thought I might have fallen asleep but not for very long (or so I thought). When I awoke, I started trying to do some work on the computer. I had an issue and so restarted the computer. This ended up being a problem because now I can only get my computer to boot in safe mode. But, after struggling with my computer for only a little bit, my alarm went off indicating I should be waking up from my 1:15 nap- it was already 1:40. I'm not exactly sure where all the time went, so I am going to assume that most of it went toward sleep. My guesstimate is that this means I received about 3 hours of sleep between 10pm and 1:40am. So, I guess I am on an Everyman schedule today.

The good news is that this sleep has seemed to make a big difference. The last two nights at this time (it is currently around 3am) were periods when it was extremely difficult to stay awake. Actually this was the prime nodding off time. Last night I almost literally fell asleep standing up and it was somewhere in the 3am time-frame. There is nothing I can do except take this and move on.

I was hypothesizing with my wife that maybe I should get a little extra sleep like this. Here was the hypothesis. I know that I have made some progress in adapting. In general, for most naps I wake up after 25 minutes without the help of the alarm clock. For multiple naps I have had dreams, which indicates REM. So, perhaps I was now just having continued issues because I was behind on sleep even though I had adapted enough to sustain this sleep schedule. Of course, there was no way for me to know if this was true. Another, and actually more likely, option was that I had not fully adapted and really needed less sleep (or rather to just continue on the naps as scheduled). If (a) was true, then that meant that I could get more sleep at some point to boost me into a higher sustaining level for sleep stores, but if it was not true then a prolonged sleep would continue to postpone true adaptation. So, I had decided to not change anything but rather continue with my naps as previously done. Naturally, when I make a decision, then sometimes God tells me I made the wrong one. I got the small amount of prolonged sleep. So, I guess now I'll get to test my theory. I do still feel tired, but not in the way that I have for the last two nights. I'll take my nap at 4:15, as usual, and continue from there. The natural progression of option 2 above ( I really need less sleep) was for me to modify my schedule to only have 1 nap at night: ~3am. This would give me only 5 naps and waking periods each day. This was the schedule that I originally came up with and would really like to be able to adapt to. The current schedule was intended to make the nights easier by putting an extra nap there.

Since I accidentally overslept, I am not going to be intentionally modifying my schedule so close to this. So, I will be attempting (to the best of my ability) to only take the scheduled naps for the next 36 hours. At that point, meaning after tomorrow night, I will re-evaluate and see if I want to try anything new or postpone any changes an additional 24 hours. This is probably most likely. I will also be working on getting my computer back up and running so that I can actually post this and other messages to the blog.

Day 7


Yeah! Last night went quite a bit better. I was still really exhausted, but I did something all night and was able to keep myself from oversleeping too much. I did not end up doing about half of the things that I had set out to do yesterday. But, I did do some cooking: both cookies and a dinner dish. I did end up nodding off in the morning around 6am. The previous night I had only had issues between about midnight and 5am. So, once I got to 5am last night, I figured I would be fine. This ended up not being the case. As before, I woke myself up within 20 minutes or so.

I am expecting tonight to be just as bad again. My expectation is that I am about 3 days behind Steve Pavlina's experience, so it will be day 8 or 9 before it is really starting to get easier. So far today, though, everything has been going well. I fell fine as far as alertness and other things go during the day. As previously noted, I do not have any issues staying awake or feeling fine during the day. It is only at night that there are issues.

Day 6


I have been writing in the middle of the night. After I am adapted, I will be picking this back up again. But, last night went pretty badly. I do not remember much of anything from between 1am and 6am. It was almost constant nodding off and jerking myself awake. As far as I know, I never slept for a prolonged period other than the naps. As such, I do not know if, or I guess I should say "how", this nodding off will effect my adapting to this polyphasic schedule. Regardless, I do not want to do this again. So, I decided that I would not be on my computer at all during this time. I will still have the computer ON as I use it as a secondary alarm clock that goes off every 30 minutes. I came up with a rigorous schedule that I am going to follow instead and starts after my 10:15 nap. It runs until I am done with everything on the list or it is morning, whichever comes first: hopefully morning.

My list of activities includes: cooking a dish that includes baking for my dinner, baking cookies, making a new closet organizer for my wife and the like. It starts off with me watching the Daily Show and Colbert report which are on TV at my house (Eastern Daylight Time) at 11 and 11:30 every Monday-Thursday. Based on last night, I should be able to keep myself awake until midnight to watch these. Of course, if this proves untrue, then off goes the TV and on with my other activities. I indicated that I wanted a dish that bakes in the oven so that I could prepare it before my 1:15 nap and then put it in the oven while I am asleep. I know I will wake up in 25 minutes, so as long as it won't be done until then, I don't see a problem. I haven't picked out the dish yet; I plan on doing that sometime today.

It is very odd to me that I am so not tired during the day, as opposed to the night. I never considered myself as taking my cues from the outside but rather from my own sleepiness. This appears to be incorrect. At night, I can hardly stay awake, let alone function. But, during the day today, I am absolutely coherent. I even have a hard time falling asleep for my naps. This is absolutely fascinating to me considering that over the last week I have only gotten a total of roughly 20 hours of sleep, maybe 25 at the most if you count the time last night that I kept falling asleep and waking myself up. I guess I'll have to wait another couple days, but if by Thursday, I am still doing well during the day, then I would say that some amount of adaptation would HAVE to be completed, because any amount of sleep store from monophasic sleep would most definitely be lost.

Day 5



OK, so yesterday I had my first polyphasic dream (that is I had a dream while on polyphasic sleep). It was nothing special. But, it was somewhat extraordinary in that I was able to get to REM sleep in my 25 minute naps.

I'll come back and fill in some other data, but let's skip to tonight I make off on the last night it's possible to that, In this one, the dream was fascinating. Even now, hours later, I can still recall many of the details of the dream. But, the most interesting thing, I thought, was that I woke up without an alarm. I have been going down at X:14 and waking up at X:40. In this case it was 1:15am when I went to sleep for a nap. I set my alarms and went to sleep. At 1:39, in my dream, I finish my thought and sentence, then put my head down on someone's lap, then wake-up in real life. I was very heartened in this. It is still VERY difficult to not go to sleep (see info below), but there is hope that this will dissolve,

Sticking to the Schedule

It is still not easy per se to take naps and only naps for sleep. I had a shortened 5:15 nap today. After just a little bit, both of us shook it off and moved on. I was able to stay awake without an issue until 10:15.
Contrast that to the naps at night. Tonight I was really bad. For whatever reasons, I was not able to, essentially, hold the line today. I tried, but I kept not being able to do so. i remember thinking back at the time and somehow rationalizing it. I actually do not know how much I slept in the time periods between my 1:15 and 4:15 naps. I am sure that it is less than an 2 hours, but it was more than the 25 minutes I was supposed to get at the beginning of that period. Tomorrow I am not going to stay in the living room during those few hours. For the rest of this week (it's Monday that I am writing about), I am going to get up and go do something during this time, whatever that something is. That's what I should have done today. I would keep realizing that my eyes were closed. A couple times, I would "realize" that I was laying down. So, I feel bad for not sticking to the schedule, but I do realize that I did not take a very long nap. No sleep time was ever greater than 25 minutes. The thing is, if I wake up groggy and then end up falling back to sleep, does my body just go back into sleep where it left off, or does it have to essentially start over from scratch? Considering the fact that I am still fighting for control and not sleeping, i am going to guess that it will be anything like starting over from scratch.

I am still confident that with hard work over the next few days I will indeed be able to adapt to a real polyphasic sleep schedule. I keep telling myself this, over and over again. This staying up and fighting the natural urges of my body is for a purpose: it is an investment in my future.

Why is it taking me so long

I am not sure what other people who have adapted would consider normal. I read Steve Pavlina's blog on his polyphasic transition quite a bit. By the time he was how far along I am, he indicated the worst was over and he was on his way back down. Last night was most definitely the worst for me to date. I am sure the next night will be just as hard or even harder due to the naps I took as mentioned above. But, until those deviations, I have been pretty much by the book to my schedule. I guess my schedule (which I made up and is not true Uberman) might take a little longer to convert to also. But, i have another line of logical thought. Steve was not only a vegan but also on an Early Riser schedule. As noted on its article page, the benefits are somewhat similar to that of polyphasic sleep. My guess is that he was essentially on the right path toward Uberman long before he actually tried to convert. My weak attempt at going to Everyman before this experiment did not seem to help anything. Actually, I am pretty sure that it would have been better to do something else in that time instead. In other words, I think that the key to converting to Uberman is sleep deprivation. My moving to just taking naps ended up in my getting even more sleep than usual. So, I think this actually made the adaptation period longer. But, it may have made it a little easier. I have no frame of reference, so I'm not sure on the easier part. Before starting I also hypothesized that I should switch to Uberman and then if I wanted to it would be easier to switch to Everyman. Now, I do not disagree to this belief from before, but I think that the oposite would also be true. In other words, the transition to Everyman is less sever and as such can be started while still working for a day or two (especially if it is not a very busy week). Then, switching to Uberman will be when adaptation for Everyman would start. This could decrease the amount of time for adaptation to Uberman.

I am going to (a) not spend any time on the computer tonight, and (b) make sure I stick to the schedule 100% for the next 24 hours (written now as my next day is starting)

Day 4


I did not post yesterday (Day - 4, May 22) because not much had changed. I have not really overslept on any naps nor fallen asleep between naps. On a couple occasions I woke up after a nap and then fell back to sleep but re-awoke within 10 minutes due to a secondary alarm system (or my wife: thanks hon). So, I was hoping to really be in or through the worst of it by now. I don't really know that I am. I have not always 100% of the time gotten exactly 100% of my nap. As an example, today was church and I attempted to take a nap in the car after we got out of church. This did not work all that well. Of the 25 minute nap period, I was probably out for about 15 minutes tops, and this was split between one long and two shorter naps. I have also noticed that some wake periods are extremely easy to not fall asleep early on while others are extremely difficult. After about 36 hours, I had hypothesized that it was due to the time. But this does not seem to hold up as it is not the same time block each day that is difficult for me. In general, the days are easier than the nights, but not always. My guess is that if they were all 4 hours instead of 5 hour days and 3 hour nights, that nights would be more easily distinguished as difficult. Also, I have had where the 10:45pm-1:15am period is extremely difficult to stay awake in and then the next period is much easier and I have had those two switched. To top it off, sometimes a day period is really difficult. I was exhausted in my morning (7:40am-12:15pm) period today but pushed through. Then, with a relatively poor nap at 12:15, I went on to have a pretty easy period until 5:15. This can be contrasted with the same time period yesterday in which my wife said that I was acting like I was drunk. I don't know. I am guessing that I am just still adapting. I am also guessing that it might take longer because I have not been on schedule 100% of the time. As another example, I accidentally fell asleep yesterday morning at 6:45am but woke at around 7:10. I counted that as my 7:15 nap, even though it had been a half hour early. But, since for the last 4 days I have not had any sleep for more than 40 minutes, and anything that long was divided by an actual awake time between 1 and 5 minutes, I would think that I would be relatively adapted by now. Perhaps that was too ambitious. As another mix to the particularly decent awake time this afternoon, I had lunch with my wife at Taco Bell. We always get Mountain Dew's Baja Blast there. So, that's what I drank. I didn't even give it any thought until after the meal was over when I realized that was the first caffeine I had had in almost a week. I'm not sure how or if the caffeine affected me. Usually caffeine from pop does not affect me; I do not drink other higher caffeine drinks such as coffee. From this single trial, indeed the caffeine did not hinder my next nap, though that was, admittedly over 3 hours later.

Much of the reason I wanted to move to polyphasic sleep was to have more time to do things I want to do. The second reason is similar: I feel sleep is a necessary waste of time, similar to unwinding. Anyway, I have noticed that some periods I am extremely unproductive. The least productive periods are the ones where I don't feel great but I don't feel horrible. If I feel horrible, then just to keep from falling asleep, I have to keep doing something, anything. So, I end up doing this and accomplishing something. Likewise, when I feel great, then I go ahead and do the work that I wanted get done at that time. In the middle though, I do not feel like doing anything productive, but when doing something leisurely, such as watching TV, I am awake enough to not really "fight" with sleeping, so I end up just watching TV/playing computer games the whole time.

I was hoping for more interesting things to write on this blog. Fortunately for me, I have not had too many of those extremely hard wake periods that decrease to show me that I am adapting. Hmm, maybe I really haven't adapted yet? But then, why not. I am taking the naps as prescribed. Even with the few times I have drifted off for a real quick snooze (which has been rare and always resulted in jerking myself awake within the minute) or gone back to sleep after a nap, I have probably only had about 12 hours sleep in the last 4 days. One would think this would be enough sleep deprivation to cause adaptation. Hmm, I have no choice but to just move forward with it and see what happens in the next week.

Dang it! I overslept. I've been having some problems with my alarm. I use my phone's alarms to wake me up. I have them preset to the 6 times I am supposed to wake up. Tonight at 10:40, the phone display indicated the alarm was going off, but it didn't play any audio. Since it was during the day (not night), I didn't have an alarm on my computer for a backup. But, my wife did some in and woke me up before 11. So, I overslept but still got only about 40 minutes sleep. This is the worst oversleep so far. I am going to assume that this is not going to be so bad as to completely set me back in terms of adapting. As always, I'll have to wait and see; I'll know more in a week or so.

Day 2


Boy do I have a headache still. On the other hand, during the day I am not all that tired. At night I am, actually I can hardly remember everything that I did last night. I know I worked on cleaning out the garage.. I know I watched some poker on TV. I know I made some cornbread for dinner. (This was a relatively normal late night treat for me when I grew up: cornbread with maple syrup.) Other than that, I wrote the Bay 1 blog post somewhere in there and I know I worked on the webpage some, though I am not sure what I did and did not get done. This morning I went back and read Steve Pavlina's Day 2 account. I couldn't help but notice a big difference between what he described and what I feel. During the day today, I was relatively fine. I am almost always groggy after a nap, assumedly because I was in deep sleep. But, once I actually wake myself up from this state, then I am relatively alert and able to concentrate, other than my massive headache (I'm going to call it a migraine). To see quantitatively how I am doing, I took some of the alertness "tests" today around 2:30-3pm.

By the end of doing the games, I was exhausted. I'm not sure if it was just that time of day, or if it was because of the amount of effort it took to concentrate on the "tests". Probably a little of both. I definitely could tell a difference in the effort required to do well. As keeping track of the scores is mostly the point, I compared my scores almost a week ago with those from today. I noticed that I did about as well as before. My guess here is that I am used to operating at a certain level and that is what I expect of myself. But, since I am sleep deprived to some extent, I push myself to do just as well, but it is at the cost of significant effort which causes me to feel tired.

Now, it is late at night and I have, in general, found it extremely easy to stay awake. I had to essentially force myself to get up from actual naps lest falling back asleep, but other than that, there has been little issue. Sometimes I need to switch activities so as to not get too bored with a single one. Again, not a big shocker. I am curious as to whether (a) it is just taking me longer to adapt, (b) my adaptation is in a way that makes me believe that I am still functioning normally but this is really the way I work in sleep deprivations, or (c) I am not really adapting. Hmm. Well, there have been some positives and, even if I am not adapting, I think I might opt for this kind of schedule when I am not working (as I am not this week). In case it is not obvious, the benefit is additional time. Before, I felt torn between doing something productive, such as working on a webpage, doing something purely for my enjoyment, such as playing a game, and spending time with my family. All of these were vying for a relatively limited amount of time. Now, though, I feel I have much more time and therefore plenty of time to spend with my family when the circumstances are in a state that is so desirable. Also, though I get enough time to consistently both blog and make progress on modifications to my webpage. But, I do not need to spend as much time as possible in order to achieve this. Therefore, I can spend some time just watching TV, browsing other on-line topics, etc and not feel that I am getting behind. This is the largest benefit. Anyway, I committed to doing this for 60 days, unless I am in a state a week from tomorrow that would make me unable to work, in which case I will call it to a close early. Of course, any medical or physical issues MAY cause me to change from polyphasic sleeping also. I really hope not; I am still hopeful that I am just in the early phases of adapting and will be able to adapt as well as others have.

Day 1


It has been 38 hours or so since I last got any monophasic sleep. I mentioned yesterday that the jury was still out on starting today. Well, let's say that I am glad I wasn't doing anything useful at work today. The first half of the day went relatively well. I thought I was doing pretty well. I took off for lunch and took a nap in my car. I had difficulty falling asleep - something I would consider inconsistent with being tired. Then, afternoon hit. As most people do, I always get tired in the afternoon. This is the reason that sleep doctors indicate that we as humans are naturally biphasic. Anyway, so I generally lose alertness in the afternoon. Today was no different, but today I was starting at a lower level. So, I was pretty much falling asleep at my desk around 3pm today. By 4:30, I opted to go home but was doing significantly better, at least as far as falling asleep. Now, at 11:15, I am falling asleep. I made a list of activities that might keep me awake because they involved being active. This is in contrast to what I am doing right now: typing on the computer. I was hoping that tonight I would be able to handle it relatively well and be able to work on the web page.

On a related note, I have a headache. I did not think about this before trying this. The nights that I have stayed up all night in the past, I often had a headache the next day. I was/am not sure why exactly. I have hypothesized that it could be dehydration (similar to a hangover). This could be part of it, but I am pretty sure it is not all or even most of it. I know that I am not so good during the day about taking care of my posture. On monophasic sleep, assumedly, this was not a big deal because I would relax every night and make up for it. Now, I don't have that time to make up for it. So, I now have a headache. I took some tylenol a couple hours ago because I was afraid I wouldn't be able to get to sleep. So, we'll see what happens. 1. I am not willing to live on tylenol. If it ends up coming down to doing either monophasic sleep or taking tylenol everyday, then I'll go back to monophasic sleep. On the other hand, perhaps this will be the motivation I need to actually take care of my neck and back during the day, if that is indeed the main issue. That would actually be a great effect in and of itself of converting to polyphasic sleep. Of course, this might be esier with more exercise. I am not or rather was not getting enough exercise. Perhaps adding this regular exercise will help my back/neck issue also. I should note that even on monophasic sleep, I would have a headache based on my neck probably a couple times a quarter, in general one really bad day and one lighter headache. So, we'll see what happens on polyphasic sleep.

I am definitely sluggish and falling asleep. I am regularly snapping my eyes open and having difficulty focusing on the computer screen. Obviously, I am not considering this sleeping. I have running in the background on my computer always. Why? because this gives off an annoying noise every 30 minutes, so if I fall asleep, then this will wake me up so I do not get any non-nap sleep. I just have to remember to refresh the page (which resets the counter) before each scheduled nap or else it will go off when I AM supposed to be sleeping.

Day 0


It's 12:30 in the morning and I am writing this entry. I went to work today, as expected. I did take my naps, but the one at lunch was short. I don't think I actually got to sleep. The 5:15 nap was really refreshing. My wife disturbed me from the 10:15 nap right before I went down, so I ended up with a slightly shorter nap and am not sure if I actually got to sleep. So far, this is easy. I am well aware, though, that it is going to get a whole lot harder before it gets any better. From now on, I will probably be writing my entry somewhere during the "night": anytime after 10:40 when I wake up until ~5am.

I am quite sure that this is going to be difficult. I am already wanting to go back to sleep when I wake up from my naps - and I haven't even had a night without sleep yet. Good thing I am not going to have anything important to do at work tomorrow; I'm not sure how alert I'm going to be. The jury is still out on the starting early idea. I guess I'll have a better idea tomorrow night. Some things finally clicked with my wife tonight. She made the comment, "so I won't have any time to sleep with my husband; you know I sleep better when you're in bed with me." I didn't know what to say. I guess maybe I wasn't clear with her about everything. So, I should add that to the adaptation tips: make sure everyone in your family/house is aware of the change and what it will mean to them. I was planning on having my "fourth meal" (as taco bell calls it) around midnight. This would spread out my four meals for the day (6am, 12pm, 6pm, and then 12am). But, one of the adaptation suggestions is not eating before a nap because it will be harder to wake up. As such, I am going to postpone that meal until right after I wake up at 1:40. This will hopefully be an incentive to actually get up: eating. Perhaps after adapting I will change back to my original plan. Then again, as mentioned previously, I am hoping to be able to go down to 5 naps instead of 6. In this case, my 1:15 and 4:15 naps would be replaced by only one nap around 2:45. So, eating around midnight would not make me have a full belly for that nap and would likely be a good idea. I don't think pushing my fourth meal off until 3:20 would be a good idea since I am planning on having breakfast around 6, probably 6:20 or so will be more accurate. Other than my one hard fast rule (I WILL NOT SLEEP OTHER THAN NAPS), i am really planning on playing this by ear. I'm going to start with this six 25 minute nap cross between uberman and dymaxion sleep schedule. If it doesn't work, I'm not going to throw out polyphasic sleep altogether. Instead, I will probably choose to either (a) try to convert to Dymaxion even though it is supposed to be harder, or (b) go straight to Everyman.

As mentioned in the Sleep Experts article, the Everyman schedule seems to make the most sense to me from a concept of eliminating non-useful sleep. As mentioned there, about 50% of a normal monophasic sleeper's time is spent in either phase 1 or phase 2 sleep. Both of these are essentially useless and a waste of time. I would much rather have this time awake. The benefit to Everyman is also its curse: it is more similar to monophasic sleep. This is a benefit in that there is essentially little risk of sleep issues that many professionals are concerned about with the purely polyphasic schedules and that it offers less rigidity in naps and schedules. But the curse is that it takes a long time to adapt. It is not as hard to adapt in the same way that Dymaxion is. One does not get as sleep deprived on Everyman. Therefore, because of this lack of sleep deprivation, the mental and physiological changeover to polyphasic sleep takes a lot longer, but it is "easier" when happening. I wanted to try out true polyphasic sleep. Also, I assumed that once adapted to true polyphasic sleep such as the schedule I am trying, that moving to Everyman would be essentially a non-issue. Actually, I have always assumed I would have some sort of Day Off on a semi-regular basis. I have considered having this not be a single day every month or two, but rather to take off one sleep period every week. In other words, one day a week (I would do Sunday since it is supposed to be a day of rest) I would sleep in between two of my regularly scheduled naps. In this way, i would end up with a 3 hour and 25 minute sleep cycle. This would provide the deep sleep present in a normal monophasic night.

Anyway, I should be alert enough tomorrow night to blog again. I'm not sure about Saturday night (Day 2). We'll see.

Early Rise Sleep

So, I started trying to get a little less sleep this weekend. As noted in my previous post, I am going to attempt to limit my night time sleep and allow for naps at the same times that I will be taking them once going on my uberman-like schedule. So, this weekend I never got more than 6.5 hours sleep each night. It was a little difficult to stay up. I got a little groggy most nights but was able to push through it by keeping busy working on-line. Today, I feel pretty good actually. I went to bed at a little after midnight last night, got to sleep within probably 10 minutes (so ~12:15) and the alarm went off at 6:30. I felt tired but got out of bed and now don’t really feel tired anymore. My guess is that I am essentially adapting more to an “early-to-rise” sleep pattern, rather than anything polyphasic. I took 2 naps yesterday and one on Saturday. I’m going to try and take one today.

Oh, I should note that from now on I am going to adopt the day/night convention that my fraternity, Delta Chi has now and had when I was in college. A day starts when the sun comes up. So, in general based on my sleep patern, each day will start when I am awake between 4:40 and 7:15. As such, during the summer I am going to refer to any time before 4:15 as the previous day still but any time after I wake up at 4:15 as the next day.

The point that I have of sleeping polyphasicly is actually to have more "productive" time. This seems obvious. I am going to be giving up an hour or so of theoretically productive time during the day in order to be on this schedule. Therefore, I would only want to do it if I could get well over an hour of additional productive time when I am now asleep. Now, I'd like to point out that productive is relative. Time could be productive for one person but not for another. I will be the first to admit that I am not the best at holding myself to being productive. For this very reason, I have come up with a strict schedule for my personal (night time) activities that I am going to try and live by. It does have some time for "goofing off," as I would never choose to do it long term if it didn't. I am going to be attempting to follow this schedule for 30 days after I get adjusted, not during the adjustment period. As I am hoping to be adjusted (basicly) by May 30th, I will be trying to follow this productive schedule for the month of June.

7:15am - start nap

7:40am - end nap

8am - arrive at work

12:00 - eat lunch

12:15pm - start nap

12:40pm - end nap

5pm - travel home

5:15pm - start nap

5:40pm - end nap, change clothes for evening

6pm - eat dinner

(after dinner) - spend time with my wife and daughter. Currently, I split this time with playing with my daughter, talking to my wife, watching TV with my wife, doing stuff on the computer, etc. In this schedule, I am going to hold myself to NOT going on the computer. I am the kind of person that can almost literally spend 24 hours a day on the computer and be OK with it. If I get sick of surfing/writing about polyphasic sleep, I can switch to politics (go to my Economics and Politics blog if you are also interested in this kind of thing). If I get sick of writing in general, I can do other surfing. If I get sick of surfing, I can play poker. If I get sick of poker, or just lose too much money, then I can switch to playing Warcraft (DotA). The list goes on and on. Anyway, for the month of June, while I am on this strict schedule, I am NOT going to go on the computer at all during this period. On the other hand, I am going to take a walk with my wife and daughter as often as possible, such as when the weather allows.

10:15pm - start nap

10:40pm - end nap, start working on this blog

11:30pm (ish) - start working on

12:30am (or after) - watch a TV episode or two (from hulu) or surf internet as desired

1:15am - start nap

1:40am - end nap, start a poker game online. Work on at the same time. If nothing else, I can work on data entry into a MySQL database, which will be a significant amount of the work for this site.

Once I get out of the poker game, if I got cash, then start a second game that should end before 4:15am. Else, continue with work until bored.

When bored (or I chose to), check general "to-do" list (a.k.a "honey-do" list). I cannot "get bored" of and not work on items from "honey-do". I can switch back to working on if I am bored of what I need to do for and that interests me more.

3:30am - play on computer/watch TV as desired.

4:15am - start nap

4:40am - end nap, start cleaning

5am - start exercise routine (I haven't actually come up with what my weekly routine is, but I am going to come up with one)

6am - have breakfast, then continue to do my current morning routine including mild cleaning, shower, etc

6:45am (ish) crawl into bed to spend time with my wife

7:15am - back to top of schedule and taking nap

More Pre-Thoughts


So much to write; so little time. Obviously, that's the reason I am starting this polyphasic schedule: to have more time, and why I am starting this polyphasic blog: to have something to write for.

Based on the anecdotal evidence, I am convinced that polyphasic sleeping is (a) possible and (b) better than monophasic sleep for some/many/most people. After adapting, I will hopefully make a judgment as to which of these. I do not believe the Sleep Professionals who imply (or outright state) that people who claim to have successfully adapted to polyphasic sleep are lying and don't really exist. Sorry, there is too much of a following for this to be the case. I just don't see people lying that much. Maybe I am naive. I am a young foolhardy male, after all.

Anyway, I now know for sure, that I am going to be off of work the week of May 25th. I also have May 22nd off. So, this is when I am going to be adapting to polyphasic sleep. My wife is a very supportive person but initially thought I was crazy. Luckily for me, she has already found a benefit for polyphasic sleeping. Her cousin is holding a graduation party in Maryland on May 30th. If I am successfully sleeping polyphasicly by then, then I can drive through the night while she and more importantly my 11 month old daughter sleep. So, that is the hope/plan and as such gives me an even stronger reason (stronger than the desire to be adapted and function on polyphasic sleep) and her a reason at all to keep me to the schedule.

If you do the math, I am off starting on the 21st and want to be adapted by the 30th. This only leaves 9 days. Steve Pavlina indicated that by day eight he was doing great and was even able to slightly modify his schedule without major difficulty. On the other hand, most other bloggers indicate that you probably want almost 2 weeks to really adapt. So, first off, what was different about Steve? I found two things (a) he's a vegan, and (b) he NEVER overslept. I have no way of knowing how important the first one is, but I am not going to change over to being a vegan to decrease my polyphasic sleep adaptation period. The second one, though, is enough evidence to me that this is the biggest key.

But, just in case the real reason was because he was a vegan or, more likely in my opinion, I do slip up and oversleep once, I am going to attempt to give myself a leg up in any way I can. As such, (a) I am going to start on Wednesday May 20th. That is, when I wake up on the 20th, this will be my last full night of monophasic sleep. Yes, I need to work on the 21st. But, based on previous experience, I can stay up all night and do relatively well the next day as far as functioning, especially during the day time. And, since I am relatively certain that I will not have any major work to do that day, I am not concerned about being slightly less productive than usual. The second thing I am going to do is start something like an Everyman schedule this coming weekend, May 16th. I am only going to go to sleep at night when I feel tired. Most weekends, and even weekdays, I go to bed more because I know I will be tired tomorrow than because I am tired now. Also, since I will likely end up tired the next day, at least by Monday, I am going to begin attempting to take my scheduled naps when I am supposed to. I am hoping that I will have essentially gotten used to taking the naps but still have a too long sleep period at night only by May 20th. So, when I eliminate the night time core sleep, I will simply be adapting to the sleep deprivation and then changing my asleep stage periods and not my when do I sleep periods as much. I will be skipping the 10:15 nap during this early (pre Wed) period as this will likely cause me to go to sleep then and never wake up. Also, I am going to be setting my alarm for 25 minutes, rather than 20 minutes. The hope is to eventually go down to only 5 naps a day for a total of just over 2 hours. But, if I end up with 6 naps and therefore 2.5 hours of sleep, I would consider the conversion a definite success.

The Decision


I have decided to try and adapt to a polyphasic sleep schedule.
There are a lot of reasons for this, including not wanting to be tired all the time, but the main reason is to have more time awake, and especially more productive time awake.
I am well aware that this is going to take a while to work. From reading everything on-line, I am willing to invest the next two months in order to transition to a schedule of more awake time after that.
In general, I am the kind of person that likes to make investments. And, I love to see my investments pay off. So, I am more than willing to invest a large amount of my time that I would be productive over the next couple months in order to be more productive after that.

I am going to be on TLO (Temporary Lay Off) for the week after Memorial Day (week of May 25th). So, I am planning on transitioning between my monophasic schedule and my new polyphasic schedule at this time: starting on the 20th/21st of May. I am planning on attempting to adopt a modified Uberman schedule at first. If this doesn't work, either at all or very well, then I will move to either a true Uberman, a Dymaxion, or most likely an Everyman type schedule.

I have learned to think ahead quite a bit before jumping in. (I've had some VERY unsuccessful businesses that I have owned part or all of.) So, here is my thought process.
1. I like the increase in time of Uberman. Especially since I know I should be exercising but am not, and I would also like an increase in productive time
2. With my current job, I am not likely to be able to take off more than once to go take a nap. Some days I would be able to but others I would not, so I can't count on it.
3. According to Steve Pavlina and some others that have done polyphasic sleep, shifting times on the naps is relatively easy AFTER you have adjusted to the napping.
4. As a curious person, I am wondering if the exact need is dependant on one's body or on the fact that one has started to train his body that it is time for a nap.
5. I really want a nap both (a) during my lunch period and (b) right after work.
6. Dymaxion is supposed to be harder than Uberman to adapt to. My assumption is that it is harder because of the longer awake times in between each nap. I am really looking for that extra awake time during the day, what with my job and all, but not necessarily at night.

Here is roughly my current schedule during the week:
6:30 - get up and get ready for work
7:45 - leave for work
8:00 - arrive at work (yes I only live 15 minutes from my job)
~12:00 - take lunch
~1:00 - get back to work
5:00 - leave work
5:15 - arrive at home
(do whatever I am doing that night, which varies)
10:30 - go to bed

Of course, those are all generalizations currently: some more than others.
If you take a look at this, you will probably see right away that unless I can take time out of my time at work, I cannot do a true Uberman. This is normal for most or all people who work, right? But, I really wanted to try something that did not include a core sleep period. So, I came up with, at first, an idea for having only 5 naps a day. I thought I could take a nap for up to 30 minutes. This resulted in a schedule of nap times at: 7:15, 12:15, 5:15, 10pm, and 3pm. That's what I came up with. It would be a total of 2.5 hours of sleep. Really, this is a cross between Uberman and Dymaxion. It is actually a lot closer to Dymaxion. But, I didn't really want to do straight Dymaxion because (a) it is harder to adjust to because of the way monophasic sleep cycles work (See What Sleep Professionals Say for more on this), and (b) I did not want to have to wait a half hour to an hour after work was over to have my next nap. This was my thought process. But, Steve Pavlina and other indicated that they needed an extra nap at night in order to not accidentally fall asleep, at least during the adaptation period. So, I decided to add another nap in making it a total of 6, which is more like Uberman. Based on PureDoxyK's general analysis, this pointed to the need of the naps to theoretically only need to be 20 minutes. But, I would really love to be able to modify this in the future to only be 5 naps again. As such, I decided on setting my alarm for 25 minutes, halfway between Uberman and Dymaxion. But, for the adjusting period, at least, I would start with 6 nap periods.

Here is what I am going to attempt to transition to:
7:15am - take nap
7:45am - leave for work
8:00am - arrive at work
12:00pm - take lunch
12:15pm - take nap
1:00pm - return to work
5:00pm - leave work
5:15pm - take nap
(do my normal evening activities)
10:15pm - take nap
(do stuff on computer, such as write for this blog, etc)
1:15pm - take nap
(do stuff on computer, such as write for this blog, etc)
4:15pm - take nap
("get ready" which will include exercising which I do not currently do, and it will include cleaning up as I currently do but would like to expand)

On weekends, this schedule will be very much similar. I will keep all of the sleeping/nap times exactly the same. The three shorter wake periods (at night) will consist of the same activities as during the week also. During the day on the weekends, I will do as I normally do now (aside from napping), whatever that is.

From reading around on-line. This appears to be the one and only key to polyphasic sleep. People that follow this single rule are able to adapt to the polyphasic schedule and stay on it for as long as they chose to. For the record, I am planning on staying on a polyphasic schedule of some kind for at least 60 days. I'll count Thursday as day 1. People that sleep other than the naps take longer to adapt, often do not fully adapt, do not feel fully alert when they have supposedly "adapted" etc. So, I WILL NOT SLEEP OTHER THAN NAPS.